Sunday, October 18, 2009

Gotcha Day!


Monday, October 12, 2009


Today's the big day! We didn't sleep much last night...way too excited and a bit nervous too. This morning at breakfast we saw the little girl who arrived last night and she was doing great. She was smiling and eating a good breakfast. It was very comforting to see that much change in her over night.

After breakfast we went to RT Mart for some groceries. RT Mart looks from a distance like any other department store. They have two floors, the upper floor was standard clothes, electronics, baby supplies, etc. The bottom floor - fresh produce - was the grocery part. As in Beijing, when they say "fresh" they mean still alive. And when they say produce, they include live fish, crabs, and frogs. Yes, frogs. Additionally they have a section I like to refer to as the "wall of death" with a bunch of dead animals turned into some sort of jerky item. They have whole chickens - head on - and other as yet to be identified animals. Suffice it to say it was different. After a nice walk back to the hotel, we could hardly wait for 1:30 to get here.

About 1:00 we got a call from one of the other fathers in our group to let us know that the girls were here early. Randy was just getting out of the shower. We quickly grabbed the camera and diaper bag and ran to the elevator. We were so nervous and so excited. My heart was beating a mile a minute.

Trying to maintain my composure and not sprint across the lobby of the hotel, I broke into a sort of speed-walk when the elevator doors opened. Having short legs put me at a disadvantage, though, and Randy beat me to her. Lea sat on the knee of one of the caretakers from the orphanage, who was sitting on one of the lobby's couches. She was just looking around. So tiny. So beautiful. I was overcome with an incredible sense of urgency to hold her and let her know we were here - finally. While I can't imagine what she's been through during her short life, I knew, above all else, that her life was about to get a whole lot better. When Randy picked her up, we noticed the cuts on her legs from the ligatures they use to hold them while they are eating or sleeping or whatever. I will never understand what she's been through, but I know this is the last she would ever have to see of those injuries. She weighed next to nothing. Her only possessions were the clothes she had on, the photo album from the orphanage, and a cherry tomato which she held tightly in her little hand. It took everything I had to fight back the tears - sadness for what she's had to endure and absolute joy at the prospect of what lies ahead.

She went right to Randy without a problem...not a single tear. Randy held her long enough for me to snap a few photos and then I couldn't take it anymore. "Okay, okay, it's my turn. Give her to me!" She came right to me also. She was so quiet. All the babies were quiet. I'm guessing that they were all a bit overwhelmed with the whole situation. There were 3 babies received today and the one older girl last night. The fifth family in our group was going to a different orphanage and will meet up with us later in Guangzhou. After a few minutes of photos and group pictures, all of the families headed back upstairs to our room for the paperwork meeting. (Somehow, we ended up with the largest room :)



We all signed and put our red thumbprint in the appropriate places and then it was off to the official government offices to file our papers. First, we went to the adoption registrar and had our family photo taken. We had a short interview and then filed our papers. I must have been a little nervous because I couldn't remember the year we got married. But, apparently, we passed the interview because the Chinese portion of the adoption is now final.

Next, we were off to the notary office to register for her passport. That went just as well...I forgot how old I was when he asked me in the interview. I'm not sure if it is lack of sleep or just nerves, but I did remember my name and Lea's name when I was asked. We should receive her passport on Friday. Until then we are finished with the official paperwork and we just hang out here until we leave for Guangzhou on Monday.

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at RT Mart again to pick up some formula, rice cereal and diapers. Once we got back to the hotel, we decided to stay in and eat sandwiches in our room. Lea was wonderful. She drank her formula and ate her cereal with no complaints. She even went to sleep without a tear. I didn't sleep much that night as I couldn't stop staring at Lea.

What a beautiful baby girl! What a great day!!


4 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy the trip is going well!
    It is tough on the children and they do take time to develop that feeling of safety!
    Enjoy this family only time because all too soon the world will come a calling and this will be just a memory!
    HUgs Ruth in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a wonderful beginning!

    Alyzabeth's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a beautiful story. Would you mind sharing what adoption agency you went through?

    ReplyDelete